Sunday, October 7, 2012

Living room sleeping- to crib- to co- to crib.

As a new mom, most of the time, you aren't sure what to do. New, new babies are hard to make decisions for obviously and I remember being very overwhelmed because I always want to make the right one. So that's why we started sleeping in the living room. I wasn't unfamiliar with the couch because during most of my pregnancy it was the only place I could sleep. You slept on the couch too, at some point right? Hopefully it's not only me.

Anyway... so the baby slept in the rock n play and I slept on the couch until about month five? I put it in the blog here. So the crib was going okay, but he would wake up 5 times a night and I would have to go put in his binky so one day (or I guess I should say, night) I put him in the bed with me. I never even thought to co-sleep. ever. and then you become a new parent and you just want to SLEEP.  As I've said before (I think?) every baby is different. My baby always did pretty good with going to sleep on his own. We got lucky. Some babies have to be rocked and rolled, and sang and shushed... we were lucky in that way. But he never slept more than 3 hours in a row. So not so lucky there.

So then it started slowly progressing to the bed ALL THE TIME. Don't get me wrong... it was nice to hold his hand while he drifted into baby dreaming land.... I slept soundly (in the beginning) and he slept pretty soundly. But fast forward to 9 months...

I was tired of bear hugging him to get him to go to sleep. I was tired of my husband or I sprinting up the steps every time he woke up, which was often, to make sure he didn't fall off the bed. I was tired of being woken up numerous times a night and this was only me... my husband slept soundly in a different room (because I feel he deserves the sleep since he has to go to work) I was REALLY tired of being woken up to a baby who was ready to go, go, go punch me in the head. Bite my hair. Jump over to the side tables... when I was like whoa, yo kid I need a second to find my glasses. So basically, the cute hand holding stopped, and it was no longer fun.

We talked about the crib often. Of course if the baby had woken up a bunch, my husband told me it was because we didnt put him in the crib to sleep. If his teeth were bothering him, it was because we should start putting him in the crib. If we ran out of toilet paper, it was because I should have put him in the crib. You get the point.

So a few weeks ago... I had the gut, it was time. I had to get myself mentally prepared... change the sheets... get all of the crap out if it that I had been storing in there... and we were doing it up! As a new mom, you just have to go with you gut... if it doesn't feel right... it's probably not.

And guess what new moms??? I didn't give him enough credit. And I am very pleased.

We (well Husband) put him in there... and put his hand on his chest... with all the bells and whistles of course (sound machine, light up night/music thing, fan) and at some point without a lot of fight he fell asleep. He woke up a few times a night at first, and of course I assumed it wasn't working. He would cry some nights at bed time, and I assumed it wouldn't ever work. But he slowly started to get it! And is still working on it I think... I've had two straight nights with one or no wake ups! He has had a few days of waking up quietly in the morning and playing... until dad comes to get him out (I am still sleeping in the room... so I throw the covers over my head to make sure he doesn't see me lol) but I am REALLY shocked how well it's going. We even do most of our naps in there! It is by no means perfect yet... but I listened to my gut and it seemed to be right.

I'll take any progress.... because co-sleeping is great for some people... although I don't know how they do it... but I feel for me... I needed the separation at night... at least a little... because we are glued to each other all day. Allllllllllllll day. And seriously... I think babies need it. They need that personal space... to relax and know they are safe.

So let's keep our fingers crossed...
It just gives you, as a parent, a sense of normal life.... without a baby ruling every single minute. It is worth the trouble... and generally works out much faster than you'd assume. So if you are debating using the crib again... I hope this helps you :)




No comments:

Post a Comment